Jpop Recommend #4 Christmas Eve by Tatsuro Yamashita

クリスマス・イブ Christmas Eve

山下達郎 Tatsuro Yamashita

Released on December, 1983, this song has become "定番 (Teiban)", THE Chirstmas song for Japanese.  The most-heard Christmas songs in Japan are: Christmas Eve by Tatsuro Yamashita, Last Christmas by Wham!, and All I want for Christmas is you (Koibito tachi no Christmas) by Mariah Carey.








This song attracted a lot of attention because of the JR Tokai's commercial starred by Riho Makise at the age of 17 in 1989.  This year, he released the "30th anniversary version" and Riho Makise appears on the PV as a cameo appearance.


CHRISTMAS EVE (30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)(regular)(remaster+reissue)

CHRISTMAS EVE (30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)(+DVD)(ltd.)(remaster+reissue)


There is also English lyrics version, not a translation but different lyrics in English.




Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

<Lyrics>
Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

雨     は   夜更け 過ぎ  に  雪  へ と 変わる  だろう

Ame wa yofuke sugi ni  yuki e  to  kawaru darou
Rain will turn into snow later tonight

Silent night, Holy night


きっと 君    は   来ない ひとりきり の クリスマス・イブ

Kitto kimi wa konai hitorikiri no Christmas eve
I know you wouldn't come. I'm alone on the Christmas eve

Silent night, Holy night


心          深く      秘めた   想い   叶えられそう    も   ない

Kokoro fukaku himeta omoi kanaeraresou mo nai
Deep in my heart I had hidden my feeling, cause my wish won't come true

必ず         今夜     なら   言えそう な  気がした

Kanarazu kon-ya nara iesou    na kigashita
But I felt like tonight is the night I can confess my feelings to you

Silent night, Holy night


まだ    消え残る     君     への 想い  夜    へ と 降り続く

Mada kienokoru kimi  eno omoi yoru e to furituzuku
There is still lingering feeling for you that remains in my heart and it keeps falling into the night

街角            には  クリスマス・ツリー 銀色      の きらめき

Machikado niwa Chrstimas tree, gin-iro no kirameki
Christmas trees on street corners, glittering in silver

Silent night, Holy night


雨は夜更け過ぎに 雪へと変わるだろう

Ame wa yofuke sugi ni  yuki e  to  kawaru darou
Rain will turn into snow later tonight

Silent night, Holy night


きっと君は来ない ひとりきりのクリスマス・イブ

Kitto kimi wa konai hitorikiri no Christmas eve
I know you wouldn't come. I'm alone on the Christmas eve

Silent night, Holy night








Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Comments