Jpop Recommend #39 Nada sousou by Rimi Natsukawa

涙そうそう Nada sousou 

夏川りみ Rimi Natsukawa


Originally released in 1998, this song was first released by Ryoko Moriyama (mother of Naotaro Moriyama) who also wrote the lyrics.  The music was made by an Okinawan band, BEGIN and it was recorded as one of the songs for Ryoko's album "TIME IS LONELY". 

Ryoko wrote the lyrics to express her feeling toward her deceased brother who passed away at a young age.  "なだ Nada" means "涙 Namida" and "そうそう sousou" means "flowing non-stop"  in Okinawa dialect

Then this song became a big hit when Rimi Natsukawa who is also from Okinawa asked BEGIN a permission to cover this song.

Her unconstrained clear voice really matches the song.  Also her way of singing takes in some of the Okinawan folk music's unique singing techniques which makes the song sound all the more exotic. 

Even a movie, "Nada sousou" which is inspired by this song, is filmed in Okinawa in 2006.  The movie was starred by Satoshi Tsumabuki and Masami Nagasawa. 



Rimi Natsukawa version




Rimi with original singer Ryoko Moriyama and songwriter Bigin


Hayley Westenra with Japanese orchestra





Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!





<Lyrics>
Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

古い  アルバム めくり  ありがとうって つぶやいた

Furui album    mekuri arigatootte   tsubuyaita
Flipping over an old album, I murmured "thank you"

いつも    いつも  胸      の   中  励まして        くれる   人   よ

Itsumo itsumo mune no naka hagemashite kureru hito yo
You are always in my mind and cheering me to keep going

晴れ渡る      日 も 雨    の 日 も 浮かぶ  あの 笑顔

Harewataru hi mo ame no hi mo ukabu ano   egao
On sunny days and rainy days, I always think of that smile

想い出  遠く    あせても

Omoide tooku asetemo
Even the memory may fade away

おもかげ    探して 

Omokage sagashite
I still search for your shadow

よみがえる 日 は 涙     そうそう

Yomigaeru hi wa nada sousou
Tears fall as I remember you so 

一番     星     に 祈る それが   私        の   くせ  に なり

Ichiban boshi ni inoru sorega watashi no kuse ni nari
Praying at the first star of the night became a habit of me

夕暮れ  に 見上げる 空    心       いっぱい あなた  探す

Yugure ni miageru  sora kokoro ippai      anata sagasu
I look up the sky at nightfall and search for you with all my heart

悲しみ       にも 喜び        にも おもう あの  笑顔

Kanashimi nimo yorokobi nimo omou ano egao
In sad times and happy times, I always think of that smile

あなた の 場所    から  私        が

Anata no basho kara watashi ga
From your place do you see me?

見えたら きっといつか 

Mietara kitto itsuka 
If you can see me, maybe someday 

会えると信じ 生きてゆく

Aeru to shinji ikiteyuku
we can meet again, so I believe and go on living

晴れ渡る     日 も   雨   の 日 も  浮かぶ あの 笑顔

Harewataru hi mo ame no hi mo ukabu  ano  egao
On sunny days and rainy days, I always think of that smile

想い出   遠く     あせても

Omoide tooku asetemo
Even the memory may fade away

さみしくて      恋しくて    君  へ の  想い 涙   そうそう

Samishikute koishikute kimi e no omoi nada sousou
I'm so alone, I miss you so, Tears fall as I think about you

会いたくて 会いたくて 君   へ の  想い 涙     そうそう

aitakute    aitakute    kimi e no omoi nada sousou
I wish to meet you, I wish to see you, Teas fall as I think about you


~English lyrics by Hayley Westenra~


Turning the pages of old photographs

I whisper thanks to each and every one
Deep in my heart you have come, come to live
Sure as the sun to see me through

Come rain or shine however the day may be

You shelter me with your smile
However far your memories may fade
Traces of you I hope to find
Then you appear and I drown in my own tears

I wish on a star, the first star of the night

You'll find me here every evening of the year
As twilight approaches I look to the sky
Searching for you with all of my heart

In grief and joy I long for you and your smile

Hoping you feel the way I do
If only you could find me from where you are
I do believe somewhere in time I do believe 
I will see you once again

Come rain or shine however the day may be

You shelter me with your smile
But as each memory of you fades away

I'm so alone longing for you

You're on my mind as I drown in my own tears
Missing you so I'm missing you so

You're on my mind as I drown in my own tears




Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!



Comments