Jpop Recommend #145 Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri by Ringo Sheena

長く短い祭 Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri
椎名林檎 Ringo Sheena



Released in August 2015, this is her 16th single.  I liked this song when I saw them perform at the year-end's "紅白, Kohaku" song festival.  Their performance was so exotic and beautiful.

Her lyrics are unique and use some words rarely used.  Please see the notes I added at the end for more explanation of the lyrics interpretation.







Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!



<Lyrics>
Japanese
Japanese pronunciation
English translation

天上      天下   繋ぐ       花火     哉
Tenjou tenga tsunagu hanabi kana
Heaven and the earth, the fireworks unite
万代        と   刹那   の  出会ひ
Tokoshie to setuna no deai
an encounter of eternity and moment
忘る       まじ   我ら    の     夏    を
Wasuru maji warera no natsu wo
Let's not forget our summer

場違い    に  冷え切つた  体      を
Bachigai ni hiekitta    karada wo
Strangely out of place, my body was chilled to the bone
人熱       に  放つて    
Hitoikire ni hanatte 
but once I released myself in the crowd, 
流し      流され
nagashi nagasare
I was flown and drifted
思へば     遠く   へ  来た ものだ
Omoeba tooku e kita   monda
Now that I think of it, I've come quite far


人生   なんて 飽く気 ない ね
Jinsei nante akke nai  ne
Life is too short
まして     若さ      は  あつちう  間
Mashite wakasa wa acchuu ma
especially youth passes in an instant
今宵  全員     が   魁、          1枚     目*   よ
Koyoi zen-in ga sakigake, ichimai-me yo
Tonight, everyone is a front-runner, the leading player

皆        銘々     取り取り の  衣装
Minna meimei toridori no ishou
Each wears unique costume of their choosing
奔放      な   命      を  被う  化粧
Honpou na inochi wo oou kesho
and make-ups to cover a life going wild
隠す      まじ   我ら     は   夏     よ
Kakusu maji warera wa natsu yo
Let's not hide, we are the summer


何か知ら        落ち込むだ   心     は
Nanikashira ochikonda kokoro wa
My heart somewhat depressed
人熱        彷徨つて    
Hitoikire samayotte 
wondered into the crowd
流し        流され
nagashi nagasare
I was flown and drifted
思へば     遠く   へ  来た ものだ
Omoeba tooku e  kita monda
Now that I think of it, I've come quite far

永遠  なんて  素気  ない ね
Eien nante sokke nai ne
Eternity has no charm
ほんの  仮初め     が 好いね
Honno karisome ga iine
Just a passing is good
愈々    宴  も     酣、         本番     です
Iyoiyo en mo takenawa honban desu
Finally, the party is in full swing, the main event will begin

皆         銘々    選り取り  全  方位
Minna meimei yoridori zen houi
Each sets their aim in all directions
獰猛        な  命      を   燃やす   匂ひ
Doumou na inochi wo moyasu nioi
The scent of ferocious life in fire
臆す     まじ  我ら     は    夏    よ
okusu maji warera wa natsu yo
Let's not fear, we are the summer


一寸     女        盛り  を   如何 しやう
Chotto onna-zakari wo dou shiyou
Hey, what should I do with the prime of my womanhood
この    侭     ぢや 行き場  が ない
Koko mama jya ikiba   ga nai
If it goes on like this, there is no way out
花       盛り    色    盛り*   真盛り        まだ
Hana-zakari iro-zakari massakari mada
The prime of youth, beauty and sexual desire, I'm still at the peak of myself

丁度       大輪  の  枝垂れ     柳*
Choudo tairin no shidare-yanagi
A big willow shown at a perfect timing 
蘇る           ひと世  の   走馬灯
yomigaeru hitoyo no soumatou
brings back memory of one time in a flash like a revolving lantern
逃す      まじ   我ら    の    夏     を
nogasu maji warera no natsu wo
Let's not fail to catch our summer

一寸     女      盛り    を   如何 しやう
Chotto onna-zakari wo dou shiyou
Hey, what should I do with the prime of my womanhood
この      侭   ぢや 終われ ない
Kono mama jya oware nai
I can't end like this
花       盛り     色 盛り     真盛り        まだ
Hana-zakari iro-zakari massakari mada
The prime of youth, beauty and sexual desire, I'm still at the peak of myself

Words in detail:
*全員が魁、1枚目, zen-in ga sakigake, ichimai-me:
Sakigake means a pioneer, the front runner and ichimai-me literally means
the first sheet. 
This word comes from 歌舞伎 Kabuki, a Japanese traditional play.
At theaters, the leading actor's name will be shown in the first panel of Kabuki billboard, the second panel will show the name of young and handsome actor.  
The third was for a clown-type actor.  We still use the words, "二枚目, nimai-me (second panel)" for a handsome person and "三枚目, sanmai-me (third panel)" for an actor who plays a clown role in the drama.

*花盛り 色盛り, hana-zakari iro-zakari:
Hana-zakari means youth and beauty and iro-zakari indicates sexual side.

*大輪の枝垂れ柳, tairin no shidare-yanagi:
Tairin means big circle which usually means a flower. 
And the first line of the lyrics has the word, "fireworks". 
That's why I think this sentence indicates a big firework was in the sky.  
One of the popular fireworks in japan is callled "shidare-yanagi, overhanging willow".  You can google how it looks like by "firework, willow".




Any comment about this blog is highly appreciated.  Requests to pick up any singer or song are always welcome!

Comments